Through the context of food & restaurants, art & museums, modes of transportation, and activities for all varieties of travel, build confidence speaking (whether traveling or not!) as you have fun and increase your cultural IQ, too!
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: choose modes of transportation, navigate the airport, compare various travel destinations and activities, order in restaurants and haggle in street markets, and handle even the unexpected curveballs your travels may throw at you.
Course Itinerary / Overview
Week 1: Plan Your trip! Learn to navigate the airport, talk about different modes of transportation, identify international travel symbols, practice booking a vacation with a travel agent and more! We will teach you to be the master globe trotter as you build your confidence in getting from Point A to Point B.
Week 2: Types of Travel Adventure / Eco / Solo / Glamping / Excursions: Whatever your destination may be or whatever your favorite excursions are while traveling, learn the language needed to weigh all the options! Who knows? After this unit you might consider a new career as a travel blogger as we explore an array of different travel styles, destinations, and travel activities.
Week 3: Pack your bags! From fashion, to weather, be ready with your target language whatever your style, wherever you go! In this unit we make sure you take all the essentials with you on your trip. Wait? Did your bags get stolen? Did the weather take an unexpected turn? We’ve got you covered there too. We’ll help you handle those curveballs as we teach you to talk about weather and navigate markets (from clothing names to how to barter!).
Week 4: Bon Appetit! Navigate Markets, Restaurants menus: What better way to experience language and culture than through our bellies?! We’ve got your essentials covered! In this unit we will explore food and flavors, menus, restaurants, and most importantly, how to order food for ourselves! Make sure you don’t go hungry (or thirsty!) while you travel.
Your Asynchronous (self paced, at your own time, 100% online) Course Includes:
- Weekly prep lesson videos (our critical #flippedlearning component for online success), in which our FLC-trained professional teachers guide you into understanding the most essential vocabulary and relevant structures needed to learn the weekly theme!
- Content Slides, the same ones offered to those taking our face-to-face theme-based options
- Recordings of our live, face-to-face classes (starting Jan. 11th)
- Office Hours with your teacher to ask any questions you may have
- Interactive video ‘dialogues’ which model real language (think slang, cultural tips, etc.) and relevant, specific dialogues as they offer opportunities to improve listening skills through the corresponding transcriptions
- Flashcards offering games, audio, and more for practice to commit these new words to memory
- A ‘Mini Mission’ opportunity for YOU to practice what you’ve just learned on our interactive platform where TeamFLC is waiting to help you! If speaking is your ultimate goal, these engaging steps will help to get you there!
- Interactive Quiz / Assessments: see how much you’ve learned (hint: a fun way to sneak in more practice!)
- Community (we can’t stress this enough!) – as an asynchronous leaner, our team engages with your comments, questions and posts via Padlet, our student discussion forum
- Exclusive invites to our monthly events to practice your language speaking!
Your Synchronous (live, face-to-face in our 'virtual classroom') Course Includes:
All of the above, PLUS!
- Bi-weekly live stream reviews
- Live, face-to-face classes either 1x, 2x, or 3x/ week
Course subscription options for synchronous opens Dec. 14th, 2020. Classes start Jan. 11th, 2021. View pricing page for details.
Looking for live, face-to-face online classes?
Don’t worry – we’ll be back in our ‘virtual classroom’ January 2021! Join us in our virtual classroom 1, 2 or 3x per week – whatever your schedule / life / energy allows!
You’ll see our familiar 1A & 1B ‘foundational’ 8 week courses as well as these monthly themes for the subsequent levels!
L1: For the upper elementary learner who has completed either our foundational 1A & 1B courses or has roughly two semesters of experience in the past.
L2: For the early to upper intermediate level speaker who wishes to move toward true language and cultural fluency!
“I felt more comfortable speaking...than I have in my entire life learning Spanish.”HannahFLC Student
““This course helped a lot - it was different at first. I wasn't used to the structure of the class but it was very effective and really pushed me to get outside my comfort zone - in a good way!””HillaryFLC Student
“These courses are like being immersed in the country...but with training wheels!”JohnFLC Student